Jaime Robledo, Colombian Centre for Tuberculosis Research
The Corporación para Investigaciones Biológicas (CIB) is a private non for profit institute devoted to research in infectious diseases and biological sciences, located in Medellín/Colombia. CIB get funds from Colciencias (Colombian agency for funding research) and from other national and international sources. One of the research units at CIB is the Bacterial and Mycobacterial Unit. This unit runs a high level mycobacterial diagnostic laboratory reference for regional and national areas. The unit main research interests are developing and evaluation of new tuberculosis diagnostic tests, molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis and genetic co-evolution of human and M. tuberculosis populations.
Jaime Robledo, M.D., is the director of the Bacterial and Mycobacterial Unit at CIB, Full professor at the School of Health Sciences, Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana. He is the actual coordinator of the Colombian Centre for Tuberculosis Research, a consortium of public and private institutions with the aim to close the gaps between research and public health, to improve the control of tuberculosis in the country.
Projects/affiliations/network in the field of mycobacteria
- Phenotipic and molecular characterization of M. tuberculosis resistant to second line antituberculous drugs (PI)
- Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis in Colombia Co-PI)
- Evaluation of different specimens in the diagnosis of tuberculosis in children
- Coordinator and member Colombian centre for tuberculosis research (PI)
- Member of Latin American Society for tuberculosis and mycobacterial infections
- CYTED project on molecular epidemiology of MDR M. tuberculosis in Latin America (co-investigator)
- Diagnosis of tuberculosis in non-HIV and HIV patients
- Evaluation and developing of rapid diagnostic test for tuberculosis
- Drug susceptibility test in tuberculosis, first line and second line
- Rapid tests to asses MDR status in tuberculosis patients
- Diagnosis of tuberculosis in children
- Robledo JA, Mejía GI, Morcillo N, Chacón L, et al. Evaluation of a rapid culture method for tuberculosis diagnosis: a Latin-american multicenter study. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases 2006;10:613-619.
- Olano j, Lopez B, Reyes A, Lemos MP, Correa N, del Portillo P, Barrera L, Robledo J, Ritaco V, Zambrano MM. Mutations in DNA repair genes are associated with the Haarlem lineage of Mycobacterium tuberculosis independently of their antibiotic resistance. Tuberculosis 2007;87:502-508.
- Restrepo, BI, Pino PA, Volcy M, Franco A, Kanaujia GV, Robledo J. Interpretation of serology in the cerebrospinal fluid of adults with tuberculous meningitis. Tropical Medicine and International Health. 2008;13: 653–658.
- Ritacco V, López B, Cafrune PI, Ferrazoli L, Suffys PN, Candia N, Vásquez L, Realpe T, Fernández T, Lima KV, Zurita J, Robledo J, Rossetti L, Telles MA, Kritski AL, Palomino JC, Heersma H, van Soolingen D, Kremer K, Barrera LE. Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains of the Beijing genotype are rarely observed in tuberculosis patients in South America. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2008;103(5).
- Robledo J, Mejia GI, Paniagua L, Martin A, Guzman A. Rapid detection of rifampicin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by the direct thin-layer agar method. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2008;12(12):1482-1484.
Corporación para Investigaciones Biológicas (CIB)
Carrera 72 A Nº 78 B - 141